This article was written by Nicole Levine, MFA. Nicole Levine is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. She has more than 20 years of experience creating technical documentation and leading
support teams at major web hosting and software companies. Nicole also holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Portland State University and teaches
composition, fiction-writing, and zine-making at various institutions.
The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work.
This article has been viewed 43,398 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to back up your Android's contacts to a Google account, SD card, or a folder in your Google Drive.
Method 1 of 2:
Backing Up to a Google Account
1Open your Android's Settings
- This method will help you back up all of your Android's data, including your contacts, to your Google account.
2Scroll down and tap .
4Tap the back button. This returns you to the Settings menu.
5Tap . It's usually under the “Personal” header.
7Tap your Google account. If you have more than one, tap the one you want to back up your contacts to.
8Slide the “Contacts” switch toAdvertisement
Method 2 of 2:
Exporting to an SD Card or Drive
1Open the Contacts app. If you're using the default Contacts app on most Androids, look for a blue and white icon with an address book or peoples' heads.
2Tap . It's at the top-left corner of the screen of the default Contacts app.
- Different versions of Android have different Contacts apps. The steps may vary by phone or tablet.
4Scroll down and tap . A list of accounts will appear.
5Tap the account with the contacts you want to back up. A check mark will appear next to the account.
- Some Androids may also give you the option to export to an SD card. If you want to do that, select that option.
6Tap . If it's your first time using this feature, you may have to tap ALLOW to continue.
7Navigate to your desired backup location. You can export to an SD card (if you have one), a folder on your Android, or to your Google Drive.
- To find a location, tap ☰ at the top-left corner of the screen, navigate to a location, then tap the folder where you want to save the backups.
- Be sure to select a folder you'll remember later. This will be helpful if you need to restore your contacts from the backup.
8Tap . It's at the bottom of the screen. The contacts are now saved to the selected location as a .VCF file.
- To restore your contacts from this backup in the future, return to the Settings area of the Contacts app, tap Import (instead of Export), then select the .VCF file.
Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today.